..........a blog about food, travel, gardening, and living the good life in Arizona.

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Recent thrifting acquisitions

A most amazing auction with oodles of stuff from a tiny house that must have been packed to the rafters. And even though the Cinderella bowls were buried in a box along with other kitchen stuff, the saavy auctioneers knew what they had, so offered them separately. No matter, they had my name all over them; coming home with me was a foregone conclusion. They are in fabulous condition and seriously, who doesn't love a pyrex bowl?


The green depression glass sherberts were another find at the same auction and since they go perfectly with my china pattern (Mikasa Hampshire), they had to come home with me as well. Now, what to fill them with?




Lately, I've been obsessed with vintage patterns and search them out wherever I go. Here are a few of my recent finds... This little number, a dress I actually made in the early 70s, was known as a culotte dress for its pants bottom and dress top. These were very popular in the late 60s, early 70s but now I'm thinking, what a pain when you have to go to the bathroom! I guess that didn't bother me back then because I remember making several of these dresses and culotte skirts too.




This apron pattern is not very old (1979) compared to others in my collection, but I love, love, love view 2. It has an "H"-back with back loops that the ties slip through. It will be amazingly comfortable and won't hang around the neck like many of the less well-designed, modern aprons do. It's a keeper.



Then there is this glamorous 1960s fishtail cocktail/evening dress designed by Pauline Trigere that I found at a thrift store. To die for... a dress that dreams are made of. And though I haven't stopped dreaming, this one is better left to Etsy shoppers; it's now for sale in my shop there.


Thanks for stopping by! Happy thrifting!

1 comment: